We use our eyes so much that it’s inevitable they sometimes won’t feel their best. Over time our eyes also might start to wear down due to age or fatigue, but it’s important to try and keep our eyes in tip-top shape. Whatever the reason, don’t start to worry too much because there are some simple fixes to help improve your vision. For how to improve eyesight (mostly) naturally (and even how to improve your eyesight when you have glasses), there are several tricks that will make your overall life and eyes even healthier and happier.
- Eat the right foods: Following a healthy diet is important for your overall health but it can actually greatly benefit your eyesight as well. There are certain foods that have amazing perks for your vision. Foods such as carrots, eggs, fish, kale, and almonds all have ingredients in them that help your vision improve. These particular foods are rich in antioxidants such as beta-carotene, zeaxanthin, and lutein, which can all help protect the eye. An added plus is that all these foods contribute to a well-balanced diet and they taste good too! The good news is that you probably already eat a lot of these foods on a regular basis, so it shouldn’t be too hard to incorporate this step into your life. Now you can view them as not only delicious but helpful as well! This is one tasty way for how to improve vision.
- Wear protective eyewear: This is a broad suggestion because it encompasses multiple areas. First, there are sunglasses. You should always wear sunglasses when out in the sun to protect your eyes from UV rays—otherwise, your eyes may suffer damage. Sunglasses from Felix Gray are a stylish option with lenses that block 100% of UVA and UVB rays to help keep your eyes safe during those bright, sunny days. Another type of protective eyewear that is important to remember is goggles when playing high-intensity sports like racquetball, field hockey, or lacrosse. During these activities, there’s a higher chance that the ball could hit your eye and cause potential damage. Additionally, protective eyewear is important during any sort of science experiment or lab work. Any work with toxic elements and ingredients can potentially cause trauma to the eyes. That’s why wearing goggles can help protect your eyes, reduce any chance of injury, and help to improve eyesight in the long run. The final type of protective eyewear that can be used to help improved vision is Blue Light glasses like the ones offered by Felix Gray. These specs filter impactful Blue Light that comes from the screens that surround us in today’s world. Wearing Blue Light blocking glasses is a way to help prevent eye fatigue and how to improve your eyesight.
- Take vitamins and nutrients: By supplying your body with the right vitamins and nutrients, you can supplement your eye health and help your eyesight improve gradually. Vitamins A, C, and E are all shown to be greatly beneficial for your eyes so these are oftentimes recommended. These vitamins can be found in a lot of delicious foods or taken separately. Omega-3 fatty acids are also shown to contribute to overall good eye health and some people have found they help with dry eyes as well. These, like the vitamins listed previously, can be taken alone as supplements or can also be found in several foods like fish and nuts. Adding these vitamins and nutrients into your diet is a simpler way for how to make your eyesight better.
- Exercise Your Eyes: Now you’ve heard of exercising to make your body healthy, but what about your eyes? Well, exercising your pupils can actually make a difference for your long-term eye health. Here are a few eye exercises to try that are super quick and easy!
- One exercise that most of us are already familiar with is rolling our eyes. The simple motion of moving our eyes back and forth is an effective exercise to warm up your eyeballs.
- Another exercise that can improve eye health is doing a focus exercise where you hold an object starting at arm’s length, focus your sight on it, then bring it closer slowly until it is about 6 inches away from your nose. Then, move it back to arm’s length. Try repeating this about 5-10 times.
- A third exercise that is more relaxing is massaging of the temples. Use your knuckles or fingers to gently knead the sides of your forehead, before heading to the inner bridge of the nose, and then to the brow bone. This is a great exercise for when your eyes are feeling fatigued.
With repeated practice, these exercises will become like second nature and you will likely begin to see results in your vision. If you were wondering how to improve eyesight
- Resting your eyes: As important as it is to keep your eyes active, it’s equally as important to give your eyes the rest they deserve. If your eyes aren’t rested, they won’t perform as well leaving you feeling unsatisfied. 8 hours of sleep is the recommended amount for your whole body, including your eyes, to be at their best. Not only is getting a good night’s sleep important for your eyes to replenish themselves, but also taking short breaks during the day is just as vital to improved vision. Looking at a computer screen, for example, for many minutes a day can lead to eye strain. If your eyes begin to feel weak or fatigued during the day, look away from the screen or document you’re reading to rest your eyes for at least a minute. The longer you can make these “short” breaks the better, so feel free to increase them to 2, 5, and even 10-minute breaks. Resting your eyes when they feel tired and making sure you are getting healthy amounts of sleep each night are great ways to help improve your vision.
- Surgery: If your vision problems don’t seem to get better with these natural suggestions (and you’re tired of wearing glasses or contacts), then an option to consider would be corrective surgery. This treatment is usually done with a laser and involves reshaping the eye in order to correct vision. There are a number of treatments out there such as LASIK or PRK. These procedures are usually relatively quick and typically don’t require an extended amount of recovery time. If you have struggled with poor vision conditions for years, then this might be a good option to explore. As always, you should consult your doctor to learn more about this procedure and find out if it is the right option for you. Although this isn’t a natural option, many have found it very effective and helpful for their vision problems.
Overall, knowing how to improve vision and improve your eyesight, in general, can seem like a huge task. However, with these simple tricks, it’s easier than you think. If you’ve ever asked yourself “how to get better vision?” or “how to fix eyesight?” add these steps to your routine and you may just see your eyesight improve. They take little to no time and soon you won’t even notice you’re doing them!